Tuesday, January 02, 2018

Seattle Opera, 2018-19

Aaaaand season announcement season arrives with Seattle Opera's announcement:

  • Porgy & Bess, Gershwin. August 11-25, 2018. John Demain; Alfred Walker/Kevin Short, Angel Blue/Elizabeth Llewellyn, Lester Lynch, Mary Elizabeth Williams, and others. Zambello production.
  • The Turn of the Screw, Britten. October 13-17, 2018. Constantin Trinks; Elizabeth Caballero, Ben Bliss, Maria Zifchak, Marcy Stonikas, Soraya Mafi. No Miles announced.
  • Il Trovatore, Verdi. January 12-26, 2019. Carlo Montanaro (not good news). Leonora Leah Crocetto (Jan. 12, 16, 20, & 25)/Angela Meade* (Jan. 13, 19, 23, & 26); Manrico Issachah Savage (Jan. 12, 16, 20, & 25) Martin Müehle* (Jan. 13, 19, 23, & 26) Azucena Elena Gabouri (Jan. 12, 16, 20, & 25) Nora Sourouzian* (Jan. 13, 19, 23, & 26) Di Luna Lester Lynch (Jan. 12, 16, 20, & 25) Michael Mayes* (Jan. 13, 19, 23, & 26) Ferrando Adam Lau Inez Nerys Jones* Ruiz John Marzano*
  • The (R)evolution of Steve Jobs, Bates. Feb. 23-March 9, 2019. Nicole Paiement (GOOD NEWS). Steve Jobs John Moore Laurene Powell Jobs Emily Fons* Steve Wozniak Garrett Sorenson* Kōbun Chino Otogawa Adam Lau Chrisann Brennan Madison Leonard* Paul Jobs Morgan Smith.
  • Carmen, Bizet. May 4-18, 2019. Giacomo Sagriponti. Carmen Ginger Costa-Jackson (May 4, 8, 12, & 17) Zanda Švēde* (May 5, 11, 15, & 18) Don José Adam Smith* (May 5, 11, 15, & 18) Escamillo Rodion Pogossov Micaela Vanessa Goikoetxea* (May 4, 8, 12, & 17) Emily Dorn* (May 5, 11, 15, & 18) Le Remendado John Marzano Frasquita Madison Leonard Mercédès Sarah Coit

8 comments:

Mike A. said...

Pretty good season for Seattle, I must say. Ben Bliss in Britten sounds interesting. I hope when SF Opera presents The Steve Jobs opera in 2019/20, it'll bring back Sasha Cooke. I just love her voice. I saw Emily Fons as the title role of Handel's Faramondo in Goettingen Handel Festival in 2014, and I was underwhelmed. Beatiful voice, but zero charisma! Hope she'll do better as Laurene Jobs.

Sacto OperaFan said...

What an interesting season. Not sure SFO would ever have the nerve to do such a varied season. I've always been interested in hearing Turn of the Screw. I've been lucky with the Britten operas I've seen and would like to see a few more. I must say after seeing Peter Grimes and Death in Venice, I left the house with a sickening feeling - obviously those operas affected me more than I expected. Not been to the Seattle house, so maybe a October trip up north may be in the plans.

Anxiously awaiting news from SFO and LAO.

Cheers all!

Lisa Hirsch said...

SFO is announcing on January 17. There are various guesses on my future seasons page.

CruzSF said...

I'm impressed that Seattle Opera booked Angela Meade and Michael Mayes before San Francisco did. They are overdue for a visit to the War Memorial.

CruzSF said...

And Elizabeth Caballero to Seattle before San Francisco (in a staged production). Argh!

Lisa Hirsch said...

Yeah, they've got some good people. Do you know Caballero's history at SFO? She was an Adler fellow, incredibly promising, but quit to head out into the world. I think she would have benefitted artistically from completing her two years here. Really a great voice!

CruzSF said...

Ah, I didn't know Caballero's history at SFO. I'm looking at the list of alumni now and see so many singers I want to hear now who never appear in SF. They were Adlers in the early and mid 00s, just before my opera love really bloomed. Argh.

Lisa Hirsch said...

I honestly don't understand why some of Adlers from ten years ago don't sing here more. Elza van den Heever got a huge boost (three Adler years, roles in Appomattox and Don Giovanni, then nothing. Heidi Melton! I mean, for both of them it might be their well-established European careers and not wanting to be 12 hours from home. STILL, yeah.